Sunday, November 23, 2014

BABS BUNNY & VAGUE presents QUEEN OF THE RING BONNIE GODIVA vs 40 B.A.R....



*Warning, the following video may be viewed as offensive and uses language for adult viewers only*

Misunderstood Talent



Growing up in New York City , home of Hip Hop, rap music is essential in one's life. But what some don't understand is that rap is produced in different forms.  I've spend a lot of my spare time watching a different form of hip hop called battle rap. Battle rap is when two MC's are matched up to rap to each other for three rounds.  People often assume it's just violent words that rhyme but what they don't understand is the work that goes into these battles.  Their verses are not just rhyming violence. There's similes, metaphors, word play, schemes, and delivery are some of the things MCs use in a battle. Word play is simply changing the pronunciation  of a word to change the meaning but still having a connection. I don't know, its kind of hard to explain. A scheme is using words of a similar topic in your verse. Imma give some examples later.  My Favorite so far is 40 Barrs. She's my favorite because her calm but threatening delivery is entertaining. Her creativity gives me goose bumps and makes me come back to watch every time. The video above is 40barrs vs Bonnie Godiva. I choose this one in particular because she did really good in this one, she looks amazing and in the fist few lines she uses word play in a scheme. She says " The Bean need  (Beanie) me, sun visor I smack B******, bonnet only take a minute we fitted (hat) to cap b******, I snapback(also a type of hat) in my killer mode bucket (hat again) plus I move cheep, these bullets hit lids and flip skully's for a cool fee (koofi: type of cap)." If you don't understand ill explain.  The bean is boston , her hometown, but she says is as beanie the hat. bonnet sounds similar to bonnie so she used it still talking about a sort of cap. Fitted is another type of hat and she also uses the word for its other meaning, Perfect fitting or liable. By now you should be able to understand how it work. Battle rap is full of thing like this and people don't don't always catch it but once you get use to it you see the beauty and talent behind it.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy goshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really thought I was the only one that watched "Queen of the Ring". Those rap battles be fireeeee. I like Phara Funeral, Shooney Da Rapper, Tory Doe, Star Girl Lady Red and Krissy Yamagucci. But Norma Bates is really garbage smh. Anyway, great blog Geraldo. Now we can have conversations about Queen of the Ring and Love & Hip Hop.

    P.S: I haven't heard any rap battles from 40 Barrs but I'll be sure to watch one of her battles tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked yourj blog even though im not really into rap music i enjoy R&B and older R&B music as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blogs really are one of the best i be reading. I honestly look forward to reading it even though i hate to read. However, your blogs i could read over and over. I listen to battle rappers and sorry tori doe is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Battle rap is really another form of poetry. Your description reads a lot like analysis!

    ReplyDelete